BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day one... Here we go!

I have to say so far I am loving it here!!! I am pretty sure it is going to stay that way. The family is great and I really do enjoy them and we are quite similar. The flight here wasn’t too bad in all honesty. Normally I am very happy with my long legs and enjoy my height all around… Not so much on a long plane ride though… Yeah. I pretty much slept the whole flight, mostly in weird ways cause that was the only way I could find to sleep. At one point in time my head was shoved between the side of the plane and my tray table… Wasn’t too bad actually.

I am now a resident of Kelkeim Germany and it looks so interesting! I can’t wait till I have the energy to go and explore the city. I have a feeling I am going to get lost a lot though. I was trying to figure out which way was North… I keep thinking South is North, so I was a little confused on why the sun was rising in the West. There are no Rockies to help me figure out where I am…. I am use to being a little spoiled that way.

The apartment we live in is really cute and fun. It is on the third floor and it is nice. I will post pictures sometime… If I can get my camera to work that is. I was thoroughly entertained by the toilet though. Not the actual toilet, just how you flush it. Above the toilet there is a button a little bigger than a paperback book and you just push it… I know I am weird but I think it is fun! Also it is going to take some time to get use to the light switches to be on the outside of some of the rooms. That should be easier than figuring out which trash can I throw things into. I think there are at least three different trash cans that you throw different things into. All in good time I guess.

In all honestly I am completely happy to be here. I think God has a reason for why I am here and I am ready to figure that out. While it was hard to leave behind my family and friends who I love so much, I know there is a reason I am here and that I have a whole lot to learn. Starting with German with any luck:)

1 comments:

Cindy said...

My dearest Rachel:

God brought you there for a reason, just like he brought me there. I think there was no small coincidence in us knowing each other in between too. I'm glad you're content and happy.

You'll notice a lot of weird little things like the toilet flushing (I had forgotten about that!). And the garbages STILL have me a bit confused. At the beginning of my exchange, I saved all my personal garbage in a bag and took it to public "garbage" cans and dumped it all because I didn't know what to do with it and didn't want to look stupid. I only did that for my first host family though. And I dont' recommend it. It's kinda awkward smuggling garbage into random cans while trying to not look suspicious or like a crazy American. :P

I love you and good luck!!