BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Can I find church? Why yes, yes I can!

Today is the first Sunday since I have been here and I was really looking forward to going to church. So I get online and see where it is. 20 minutes. No problem! That will be a breeze. Well since I don't have a car, things are a little more difficult. Not to be outdone, I decide to prove that I can do this. I do a little research and then ask someone who understand the train system better than I do how to get around. I am all set now. I wake up and leave the house at 8:30 in the morning and head to the station. Nikki was confused that I was leaving that early, so she asked me where I was going. When I told her she got this look on her face. The "Oh my the new nanny is going to get herself killed before being here a week" you know the look right? So I write down the number to the house, just in case and head out the door. (I would like to mention that I am on my longboard with my skirt and heels in my bag. ). I go to buy my ticket, I get it pretty much all ready... Then realize I don't know where to put the coins. Everywhere I have gone they gave me change back in euro coins... hmmm... ten minutes later I figured it out. Me-1 ticket machine-.05 (it did put up a decent fight, it deserves something)

Feeling pretty good at this point, I am on the right train and I only have one more train to catch till I am there. I get to the main station and follow the directions I was told, and got a little confused. So I found a security/police man. Not sure really which one he is, but he helped me in my broken German, and by broken all I could do is look confused and say "Offenbach? S2?". Bless his soul he pointed me in the right direction.

Well at this point I got REALLY confused on where I needed to be. There is a train coming... is it mine? Should I get on it? Should I wait? If I wait and miss it when will the next one come?! So I go up to a little old lady who, of course, doesn't speak English. Using my 'broken' German I start saying pretty much the same thing. "Offenbach Marktplatz? S-drei?" That sweet little old lady said a lot of things I didn't understand. I didn't actually understand a single word she said. Realizing that I didn't understand what she was trying to tell me, she walks onto the train that just pulled up and waves me in. HUGE step of faith getting onto that train. What if this crazy old lady didn't understand me in the first place?! Where would I be then?! So I follow her. She was right. She counted how many stops till mine and I got that part. Then she hopped of the next stop and carried on her merry little way. God bless that angel! I get off at the right station, skate for a bit, then see a sign that made my heart just fly out of my chest. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Visitors welcome. Granted it was in German, but all the same I knew the sign without reading it.

Walking into the building was a little weird because I was in a pair of jeans with a tear in the knee, and carrying my board, but I was insanely happy to be there. I changed and then sat down to read my Ensign, when a missionary comes up to me. "Ich Heisse Elder something something" he says... I feel proud to say that I was able to respond with "Ich Heisse Rachel". The next thing out of his mouth is "oh you are from America?!". Why yes, Elder, yes I am. So we get to talking because he is from Iowa and it is all grand fun. Then I ask him if he knows one Chad Roberts who served his mission there. Small world, he does! So here I am, some 5 thousand miles away from home talking to someone who knows one of my favorite people! GREAT Sunday!

Then I go and sit myself down and wait for church to start. It is crazy how many people came up to talk to me! I loved it! I felt the love they had for me already and the love of my Savior so strongly. I loved every single minute of it. It amazed me how many people took me under their wing today. I was given multiple pieces of paper with names, numbers, and addresses on it and told to call if I ever needed anything. These are some of the most amazing people I have ever met honestly. They made sure I never had to sit alone and that I knew where I was going. They even set me up with a ride home.

After church there was a baptism for a little girl in the ward. I was debating staying or not, but that was decided by the fact my ride was staying. So I sat through it next to Anna, who I love! She just was fun to talk to and I enjoyed her company. Then like any Mormon function, there was food after. I had to ask a few times what I was about to eat. It worked out well though.

Finally we are in the car headed home. It has been a great Sunday but all I want is my bed. They take me to the train station by their house which is only two stops from mine, I get out and buy my ticket and figure out when the next train is. I had just missed it, so I was going to have to wait an hour. AN HOUR!!! My head is just hurting at this point. All I can dream about is my bed! So we go back to their house (I can't remember their names right now... I know I should and I know it is right there, but I can't bring them up!) and we chill there for a bit and just talk. It was really nice and I did enjoy it.

But it is all over now. I am home, on my bed, and deciding it 6 is too late for a nap or not. It has been a 9 hour Sunday ordeal, but it is over now. It was amazing and I loved and needed that, but I am ok with being home now. God is great. I love my life. And I decided it is never too late for a nap!!!

5 comments:

Bev said...

This is a test and only a test!

Momerly said...

Still testing!

Bev said...

By, golly I think I have it! Rachel Gremany me the net!

Cindy said...

:D

That sounds similar to my first experience going to church in Germany. I'm glad you were a bit closer to a church though. And the church's website wasn't as good when I was there. They updated soon after i figured out where my church was. :P
Anyway, I'm glad you got to church. Keep posting! I should have just blogged instead of emailing everyone. It would have been easier for pretty much everyone involved. :P

janice said...

great, now we can see what your doing there and you can get hooked on bloging. sly, antjan