BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Playing in a cemetery?

I have always had this strange fascination with cemeteries. Not in the creepy way, but I always wonder what that persons life story was. What they did. Who they loved. What they wanted in life. What made them who they are.
On my trip into Frankfurt this weekend, I passed by the Hauptfruedhof, which is a big cemetery here. I had tried to go into it once before, but I got there at twilight, and well honestly... I had read Dracula for a bit right before... Not a good mix. Yes I know it is a fictional story, but my imagination has way too much fun with these kinds of things. I got there on Saturday and there was plenty of light, and it was actually quite calming there. The big stone walls surrounding the cemetery blocked out almost all of the city noise, which was shocking. There were birds chirping in the trees and there were very few people in it. It was really peaceful. I enjoyed my stroll, wondering about the stories of the peoples who's graves surrounded me.
I was confused every once in a while because there were green stickers slapped onto some of the head stones and I had no idea why. When I asked someone later I was informed that when you are buried, you get the lot for 30 years and then have to pay. If you don't pay, they move your bones.... The conversation got distracted at that point, so I am not sure where the bones go then. It was just odd to me. You are dead. Yet you have to pay later... Strange system.
For the record, Hauptfruedhof is a HUGE cemetery. I ended up walking clear towards one side, and in all honesty I was rather tired. I had been longboarding the city for about 5 hours and then walking in the cemetery. I got to one end, only to realize that I was going to have to walk all the way back out, then along the side of the cemetery past where I currently was. Way too much backtracking for me to be ok with... so.. I hopped the fence. I got a few funny looks, but there was not a chance I was walking all that again. My country upbringing worked well that day.
When I started making this blog, I just wanted to put up some pictures. That is my main thing today. I had fun playing with photoshop on them, and I love to share all the random things I see. So welcome to Frankfurt :)

This is a Ludwig Mausoleum. I wanted to go inside of it, but when I opened the door it kinda freaked me out... Was reading Dracula again... Love the book too much!
This is the door on the mausoleum. See, creepy!
A bridge :) Just making sure you got that!
This would be the Bird Lady... She made me laugh.
I found a random swap meet, there were some... odd things there. I got there right as they were closing down, but I would love to go back and explore sometime!
Can I please get my shoes at a swap meet?! (insert sarcasm here)

I have no idea what so ever about what this is. It was there, I laughed, so I took a picture. That is the story of this guy :) Hope you enjoyed the lovely tour and I will be back next week with pictures of Paris :D

0 comments: