BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 1, 2010

A photo tour of my life as I know it


So this blog is mainly dedicated to picture. I do have a little input, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words so it wont be a lot. And before I forget to mention something, I now know how I have made foreign people feel. While at the grocery store I was checking out, the lady said something to me I didn't understand for obvious reasons. It was German. I informed her IN German that I didn't speak German, so what does she do? She speaks slower. Still in German. I just looked at her with an expression that knows no boundaries of language. My face screamed "Lady! I just told you I don't speak German. WHY would you explain it again?!". It was interesting to see the flip side of this.




This is an awful cropping of pictures... deal with it till I have the time to fix it. This is Frankfurt, taken across the Main (pronounced mine) River. This is when it was a lovely 13 degrees outside and I was on my 8 km (5mile) bike ride.


This is the man selling Bratwurts on the Zeil. I am still entertained by this.
This is one of my favorite cathedrals, the Dom Cathedral. It is one of the few to survive WW2 bombings. It is beautiful on the inside but it always creeped me out when I would turn the corner after seeing beautiful sculptures of angels, to see a grotesque one of Christ. It makes me sad how they try and scare you into being religious.



This is just funny to me. You are walking down the street, there are shops and modern buildings, there is even a Hilton down the street.... Then there is this. No idea what it is, but it has been made into some business and is still being used.
I shouldn't be this entertained by the random pay phones... But I am. They are pink! Give me a break!


This is another Church I think is beautiful. It is St. Peterskirche (St. Peters Church). This is where some random creepy guy tried to get me to go to a New Years Disco at his restaurant, kept shaking my hand, and did the cheek kiss thing enough times that he could smell my perfume. He may have 'accidentally' been hit with my umbrella a few times....
This is in the grave yard surrounding St. Peterskirche. I had no idea what it was for, there are just a bunch of large nails in the wall and roses on them. When I got home I translated this. Verletzte Liebe means 'Hurt love' and I found out that every nail in the wall is for someone in Frankfurt who died of AIDS. Very interesting.
This is also in St. Peterskirche grave yard. I was able to read it when I took this picture... But I can't remember what exactly it says. I believe that it says "Here lies Goethe's Father" which I found kinda entertaining. Goethe is a HUGE thing here, and his dad is buried with that stone across him.


This is what Goethe's Fathers whole grave looks like. No idea what the rest of the head stone says... There are perks to having a famous son. You get a nice little gate around your grave and your headstone is kept nice and shiny. There were a lot of the headstones that were falling apart and were so covered in... Slime? Crusty stuff? Moss? That you couldn't read them, which was sad.


This is my Christmas tower I was talking about :) I love this thing!

I didn't take this picture, I found it online. Now I know this looks awesome, but imagine this over the ENTIRE city! It was amazing! I got to play with big fireworks like these. Granted I almost blew us up because I was sticking one in the ground and was told to put it about 1 millimeter in the ground... I had no idea what he meant exactly by that, so I put it in a millimeter by my scales. Well... It was too far in so it just blew up right in front of us. Good times :) There was at one point in time where there was so much smoke from the fireworks around us at the park that I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me. Yeah... That is a lot of fireworks!

Well that is all I have right now. I will find more things to take pictures of now that I have a functional camera and a blog that is not being stupid.
Tschüss!!!

2 comments:

Janice said...

Fun pictures and fun stories. When I tell people that I don't understand they usually take even more. I just shake my head and then they smile and walk off. Also I have a Christmas tower and I love mine as well. We should find out what they are really called. Have fun and keep clicking away.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading and seeing the pictures. You are in an amazing place. Love you This is mom because I forgot how to post. I have 11 months to get this right!